Case spike moves Phillips County to Level Orange
November 18, 2020
Phillips County has seen a spike in the number of positive COVID cases over the past two weeks. The County also saw its first COVID-19 related death. According to the Northeast Colorado Health Department, Phillips County has had 60 new cases over the past two weeks, bringing the total number of cases to 131 since onset of the pandemic.
The increase in positive COVID-19 cases has required a level change on the COVID dial for Phillips County. As of Friday, Nov. 13, Phillips County moved to Level Orange, Safer at Home - High Risk. The level change strips the County of all variances and limits gatherings to no more than 10 or two households.
According to the NCHD, the six county region including Morgan, Washington, Yuma, Logan, Sedgwick and Phillips counties, has recorded a combined 75 deaths related to COVID-19. Test positivity numbers have increased 8.2 percent in Northeast Colorado over the past 14 days; 8.5 percent locally in Phillips County.
The local health department reports, as of Monday morning, Nov. 16, two current COVID-19 hospitalizations in Phillips County along with 70 active cases.
Locally, the spike in cases have had the following impact:
• The Haxtun Town Hall is temporarily closed to the public. Payments can be made through the mail-slot on the front door and other business may be conducted over the phone at (970) 774-6104.
• In order to maintain safe social distancing recommendations, the Phillips Board of County Commissioners' regular meetings will be held in the Biesemeier Room at the Event Center at least through Dec. 31. The meetings will still be open to the public but all attendees must wear a mask and maintain a six feet distance from others.
• The Holyoke School District has moved to online-remote learning through Nov. 20.
• Highline Electric Association offices are closed to outside visitors until further notice. Offices are staffed to field calls and drive-thrus at the Holyoke and Sterling offices remain open during normal business hours.
• PC Telcom offices are closed to outside visitors. Offices are operation for remote scheduling, trouble reports and service hours.